I wanted to use the Apple Remote to control Spotify like you can control Front Row or iTunes. I barely use the the remote to anything else but to control the volume so I wanted a change. I started to google and I found theMacBox. They have built an application for just this purpose. But unfortunately they’ve stopped develop it in 2010 and it does not work any more. I sent them an email to make it an open source project but I haven’t got any reply yet. I aslo found SpotifyIrRemote but it doesn’t work with Leopard so I couldn’t test it.
What I did was to build my own application. A lot of googling later I found that the solution was pretty simple. I installed a program called Mira that let me change the behaviour of the Mac Remote. Then I wrote 3 AppleScripts to run on some key press. The scripts is very straight forward.
tell application ”Spotify” to next track
tell application ”Spotify” to previous track
tell application ”Spotify”
set ps to player state
if ps is playing then pause
if ps is not playing then play
So to get it to work:
- Save these scripts into 3 AppleScript using AppleScript-editor.
- Download and install Mira. (you may want to use this download link)
- Go to system preferences an click on Mira.
- Click at a button, choose ”open object” and the ”AppleScript”.
- Choose one of the AppleScripts you created in step 1.
Share or like this post if you found it helpful.